Friday, January 11, 2013

Granola

Granola is one of my weekly items that I make. Just like whole wheat bread, pizza crust, and pie crust it's taken me a while to perfect my recipe. There are tons of different granola recipes and I compiled this one after trying a few but not liking any of them.


8 cups Old fashion oats
1 1/2 cups wheat germ or bran
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut
3/4 cup slivered almonds or chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup oil
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cranberries

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.Measure oats, germ/bran, salt, nuts, coconut, and cinnamon into your mixer or a large bowl.
In a medium sauce pot heat the oil, sugar and honey until the sugar dissolves. Make sure you whisk while it's heating.
Pour honey mixture into oats and mix until well coated.
Spread onto 2 half-sheet pans lined with parchment or a Silpat. Bake for about45 minutes removing every 10-15 minutes to stir and rotate the pans.
Remove from the oven and cool before dumping in a bowl and adding dried fruits.




1 comment:

Evie said...

This sounds delicious! I'm kind of persnickety about my granola and I think I'll have to try this recipe.