Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fig and Whole Wheat Muffins (dairy free)

  
 I love breakfast food but I hate getting up first thing in the morning and having to cook something fast so I can take Nathan to work. Thankfully my wonderful husband typically crawls out of bed 30 minutes before I do and makes breakfast so all I have to do is drag my pregnant sell out of bed and walk down the stairs...sometimes I don't even have to do that. Breakfast in bed is glorious.

I try once a week or every other week to make a batch of muffins so that we can have something already made and ready to go in the mornings. I made a decent batch of fig preserves last summer and for some reason we've had a hard time finishing it off. I still have about 3 or 4 small jars left. I wanted to used them in a whole wheat muffin. The consistency of these are not like your typical muffin due to the lack of butter and all whole wheat flour. They are super easy and I really liked them.

Fig and Whole Wheat Muffins
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup fig preserves
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries.

Mix ingredients in order that they are listed. Stir together just until combined. You don't want the batter to become tough. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. 

No comments: