Monday, November 3, 2008

Soup

I love soup during the cooler months. What's really weird is that I never make soup. Growing up in a house full of men we didn't really eat a lot of soup (I'm finding most men aren't soup lovers). I found a recipe a couple weeks ago, in one of my books from school, for butternut squash soup. I made it this past weekend for Royal Flemings baptism party and it turned out really well. I purchased all of my ingredients from L&D produce. I was so glad they had everything that I needed so I didn't have to go to dreaded Wal-mart. Anyway...here is the recipe for the soup. It was a big hit at the party.

Butternut Squash Soup

2tbs Unsalted butter
1 cup Leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced thin
1tsp Garlic, minced
3 cups Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, 1/4 inch diced
1 cup McIntosh or Gala apples, peeled, seeded 1/4 inch diced
1 tsp Curry powder
pinch Nutmeg
3 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup Heavy cream, hot
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter over moderate heat until it turns nut brown; reduce heat to low
2. Add leeks; cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds.
4. Turn up heat to high.
5. Add squash and apples; cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
6. Stir in curry powder and nutmeg; cook 1 minute
7. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
8. Puree the soup through a food mill or blender (the soup should have a coarse texture)
9. Bring the soup back to a simmer; add hot cream and correct seasoning.

Yields 4 servings

No comments: