- a 19-ounce can chick-peas
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sesame buns
- 4 slices beefsteak tomato
- 4 slices red onion
In a colander rinse and drain chick-peas. In a food processor pulse garlic, onion, and rosemary until chopped coarse. Add chick-peas, parsley, and bread crumbs and pulse until just combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in walnuts, egg, and salt and pepper to taste until well combined. Form mixture into four 3-inch patties. Chill patties, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
In a large skillet heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Toast sesame buns. Transfer burgers to buns and top with tomato and onion.