Friday, September 9, 2011

Summer Shirt & Dessert

I started this post a month ago...just got around to posting it.


About three weeks ago I made this shirt using this pattern that I modified a little bit to fit me. It's probably the last summer item that I will be sewing. I've just started on a vintage vogue pattern that Nathan bought me for my birthday.

I don't have a picture of this amazing ice cream but I have to share it because it is amazing and very easy to make. It's from Nigella Lawson and I've been wanting to make it for a while but finally got around to it last week when I realize that I didn't have my churn to make ice cream.

Nigella Lawson's Bitter Orange Ice Cream
  • 3 Seville oranges (or 1 eating orange and 2 limes)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • wafers, to serve (optional)
  • If using Seville oranges, grate the zest of 2 of them. Squeeze the juice of all 3 and pour into a bowl with the zest and sugar. If you're going for the sweet orange and lime option, grate the zest of the orange and one of the limes, juice them and add to the sugar as before. Stir to dissolve the sugar and add the heavy cream.

    Whip everything until it holds soft peaks, and then turn into a shallow airtight container (of approximately 2 quarts) with a lid. Cover and freeze until firm (from 3 to 5 hours). Remove to ripen for 15 to 20 minutes (or 30 to 40 minutes in the refrigerator) before eating. Serve in a bowl, in cones, with wafers — however you like.

    Recipe used with permission, from Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson.

    No comments: