Friday, August 10, 2012

Basil Pesto

I love pesto! The amount of uses are endless. It's one of those things that I continually wish I had an endless supply of. I have made a big batch in the past and frozen it but not for the last 2 summers because we haven't had a garden. This year we once again have nowhere to put a garden. I could have planted some herbs in a pot but I've been busy with baby stuff. 

Thankfully everyone at the farmers market has tons of basil and it's actually a reasonable price (unlike everything else). I walked the 3 blocks to the market on Wednesday and picked up $4 worth. It actually made more than I thought. If there is no baby here by next week I might do another batch. 

Here is what I put in mine:
Basil
Parmesan or Pecorino Ramano Cheese
Lots of Garlic
Pecans, Pine Nuts or Walnuts
Olive Oil
Salt 

I really like using a food processor for this but all I have right now is my blender.

I pack it in these great little freezer jars and freeze it!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

we love to put pesto on our pizza! bryan is planning to build us a permanent spot for an herb garden so hopefully basil will abound in our yard very soon - i'm going to plan to freeze pesto next year too :)