Thursday, August 9, 2012

They Just Don't Get It...

...it's a Southern thing. 

Fried Green Tomatoes!



I've had the hardest time finding green tomatoes here in NH. There are none to be found at grocery stores or farmers markets. Thankfully Nathan has an older man that works a few hours at the shop with him. He also has a garden and has brought in cucumbers, tomatoes and squash. Last week Nathan asked if he could bring us some green tomatoes. Apparently it took some convincing to get him to agree to pick not yet ripe tomatoes. Making a pregnant woman very, very happy won him over.


I've made fried green tomatoes several different ways this time I had Panko bread crumbs on hand so I made them the way we used to at the restaurant I worked at in Charlotte. 

1. Slice tomatoes and toss in flour flavored with salt and pepper.
2. Dip in an egg wash
3. Dredge in Panko bread crumbs seasoned with herbs de provence.
4. Pan fry in a couple inches of oil in a cast-iron skillet. Fry on one side until golden and flip.



I made a remoulade sauce to go on top and salad to go alongside.

No comments: